Active Together distributing 1,900 Activity Bags to LLR residents in need throughout Christmas
Posted: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:15
Active Together are working with partners to help the residents of Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland (LLR) to move a little more over the festive period.
As a partnership, we work with local groups and organisations to support them to encourage their communities to become active. During the holiday period, we are aware that many of our partners work hard to ensure that their communities receive a present and company during this time, many of whom may otherwise not receive anything or see anyone throughout this period.
To support this, and to raise awareness of the benefits that moving more can have, Active Together are working with these partners to provide a number of activity gifts to give out to the communities of LLR.
A special thank you to the following distributors that are helping us spread the Christmas cheer and sharing these activity gifts throughout their communities. This would not be possible without you.
Children & Young People/Families
- Toys on the Table
- Beacon Academy
- Charnwood Borough Council (Ukrainian Refugees, Children and Family Wellbeing Services, Charnwood youth groups)
- Leicestershire County Council (Looked After Children services, Virtual Schools)
- Leicester City Council (Looked After Children services)
- Rutland County Council (Looked After Children services)
- Harborough District Council (Children and Family Wellbeing Service)
- Melton Borough Council (Children and Family Wellbeing Service)
- Bodie Hodges Foundation
- Leicester City Football in the Community
- Knowledge is Power (KisP)
- Home-Start Horizons
- Molly's Gift
- Charnwood Christmas Toy Appeal
- Active Rutland (Dementia walking groups)
- Age UK (Leicester Carers Support, Friday Friendship Group)
- Leicestershire County Council (Covid Vaccination Clinic, County Hall)
- Bushloe Surgery
A total of 1,900 activity gifts will be provided to children/young people, families and adults/older adults throughout Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland over the holiday period.
Children and families will be provided with a pedometer bracelet, water bottle, as well as an activity flyer with tailored information and ideas on how to move more. Adults/older adults will be provided similarly with a pedometer bracelet, a tailored activity flyer, but also a mug and teabags. Residents can use the flyer as inspiration on how to incorporate physical activity into their daily lives, as well as where to visit if they would like information on how to move more.
Donna Chapman, the Virtual School Head at Leicestershire County Council, is grateful for the activity gifts.
"We would like to thank Active Together for their kind donations to our looked after and previously looked after children. During what can be a very difficult and emotional time for children in care, these Christmas gifts are a little reminder that we care and are thinking of them during this holiday. The impact will be really significant for our children.
In particular, our Special Guardianship's receive limited financial support and no Christmas allowance, and so sometimes extracurricular activities are not in their gift to give."
Thank you once again to everyone involved, we hope these activity gifts provide joy over the Christmas period for the residents of LLR.